Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
These are not the traditional Cream of Wheat cookies with raisins. Instead, these are Greek cookies, which I understand were traditionally called Fenekia. They are similar to Russian Teacakes. Recipe from villagegarden.com, posted upon request, I haven't tried it yet.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease 2 baking sheets.
- Combine the flour, almonds, farina and baking powder.
- In a large bowl, cream the shortening and sugar. Beat in the egg. Gradually blend in the dry ingredients. Cover and chill for 2 hours.
- To make the glaze, combine the butter, sugar and corn syrup in a small bowl and beat until smooth.
- Drop the dough by spoonfuls 1 1/2 inches apart onto the prepared baking sheets.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, just until lightly colored. Brush the cookies with the glaze, sprinkle with the slivered almonds, and bake for 5 minutes longer. Transfer to wire racks to cool.