Prep1 hr 30 mins
Traditional here means with tomatoes and lemons. Try it with your favorite fish. From Ethnic Cuisine.
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, plus extra
- olive oil, for oiling
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 2⁄3 cup dry white wine
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomatoes with juice
- 1 pinch sugar
- 1 large lemon, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh marjoram
- 1 (2 -2 1/2 lb) sea bass or 1 (2 -2 1/2 lb) tilapia fillets or 1 (2 -2 1/2 lb) red snapper, fat whole fish cleaned and scaled
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Oil a shallow ovenproof dish. Heat 4 tbsp of the oil preheated in a pan over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic. Cook for 5 minutes. Add carrots and celery. Cook, stirring frequently, for 8-10 minutes or until slightly softened.
- Remove pan from heat and pour the wine into the pan. Return to the stove and bring to a boil. Add the tomatoes with the juice, sugar, lemon slices, and salt and pepper to taste. Simmer for 20 minutes then stir in the herbs.
- Put the fish in the oiled baking dish. Pour the vegetables around the fish. Arrange the lemon slices on top of the fish. Sprinkle with the remaining oil and season to taste.
- Bake, uncovered, for 45-60 minutes depending on the thickness of the fish. Serve immediately.