Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
The buttery and flakey phyllo is a great compliment to the cheese filling. Use more ricotta if feta is too bold of a taste. This is the way my mom makes it. Recipe taken from "The Complete Book of Greek Cooking, The Recipe Club of St. Pauls Greek Cathedral".
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine crumbled feta and ricotta cheeses.
- Add eggs and beat thouroughly, then parsley and mix well.
- Lay 1 sheet of phyllo dough in a 9x9 in baking dish and brush lightly with melted butter.
- Lay another sheet of phyllo dough on top, brush with butter, and repeat with four more sheets of phyllo.
- Spread cheese mixture into pan and place another 6 sheets of phyllo in the same process as before.
- Place in a preheated 350 degree oven for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Serve while hot.
This is very close to my Grandma's recipe. She called it Pita, and instead of Feta cheese, she used large curd cottage cheese. It makes it easier for the little ones to enjoy it. If you are really daring, you can also use the same filling and roll them into triangles, but eating the cut squares is just fine!