Cook1 hr 20 mins
No lamb, no eggplant, I'm not sure what makes this moussaka, but it's really good!
Make and share this Turkey and Pepper Moussaka recipe from Food.com.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 red peppers, cut into strips
- 2 green peppers, cut into strips
- 2 lbs lean ground turkey
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 (15 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with basil oregano and garlic
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2⁄3 cup unseasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 (15 ounce) container fat-free ricotta cheese
- 8 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 1⁄2 cup egg substitute
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat oil. Add pepper strips, saute 8 minutes. Remove to a medium size bowl.
- In same skillet cook turkey and onions, stirring to break clumps until turkey is no longer pink. Drain excess liquid from skillet.
- Drain tomatoes. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, cinnamon, salt and pepper to turkey in skillet, cook 3 minutes, remove from heat.
- Sprinkle 1/3 cup bread crumbs over bottom of a 13x9inch baking dish. Arrange half the pepper strips over bottom. Layer with turkey mixture; top with remaining bread crumbs and pepper strips.
- Stir together ricotta cheese, feta cheese and eggs until well blended. Spread mixture over entire casserole, cover with foil.
- Bake, covered, until bubbly around edges, about 1 hour 10 minutes. Remove from oven, remove foil.
- Turn on broiler. Broil casserole until topping is browned, about 3 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.