Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 45 mins
This recipe is lower in fat but has a great flavor. This also freezes well for make-ahead cooking.
Make and share this Turkey Moussaka recipe from Food.com.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 medium eggplants, sliced 1/4 inch thin
- 2 lbs ground turkey
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 (14 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- salt & pepper
- 2⁄3 cup breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 cups ricotta cheese
- 8 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 eggs
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Heat oil in skillet, add eggplant, sauté 5 minutes per side; remove.
- Add turkey and onion, stirring to break up clumps.
- Cook until browned, drain excess grease.
- Add tomatoes to skillet, add garlic, oregano, basil, tomato paste, cinnamon, salt, pepper.
- Stir until cooked through, 10 minutes.
- Spray a 3 quart baking dish with cooking spray and sprinkle with a thin layer of bread crumbs.
- Add a layer of eggplant, a layer of turkey mixture and sprinkle with parmesan.
- Top with bread crumbs,repeat layers.
- In a medium bowl stir together ricotta, feta, eggs and spread over casserole.
- Cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake for 1 hr 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and remove tin foil.
- Increase oven temp to broil.
- Broil for 3-4 minutes until top is browned.
- Let this stand 10 minutes before slicing and serving.