Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 45 mins
This recipe is lower in fat but has a great flavor. This also freezes well for make-ahead cooking.
Make and share this Turkey Moussaka recipe from Food.com.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 medium eggplants, sliced 1/4 inch thin
- 2 lbs ground turkey
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 (14 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- salt & pepper
- 2⁄3 cup breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 cups ricotta cheese
- 8 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 eggs
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Heat oil in skillet, add eggplant, sauté 5 minutes per side; remove.
- Add turkey and onion, stirring to break up clumps.
- Cook until browned, drain excess grease.
- Add tomatoes to skillet, add garlic, oregano, basil, tomato paste, cinnamon, salt, pepper.
- Stir until cooked through, 10 minutes.
- Spray a 3 quart baking dish with cooking spray and sprinkle with a thin layer of bread crumbs.
- Add a layer of eggplant, a layer of turkey mixture and sprinkle with parmesan.
- Top with bread crumbs,repeat layers.
- In a medium bowl stir together ricotta, feta, eggs and spread over casserole.
- Cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake for 1 hr 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and remove tin foil.
- Increase oven temp to broil.
- Broil for 3-4 minutes until top is browned.
- Let this stand 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
I gave this 5 stars because I think it's really excellent for such a simple dish. I took just a few minutes to prepare but was delicious and a nice change from the usual weekday meals.
I agree with Paula. I will be making it again. Be sure to drain ricotta cheese. Also I had butcher grind up turkey legs without skin and bones. Taste just like lamb. In fact in the Mid East very common for restraunts to serve turkey thighs and legs and serve them for/as lamb! Try it. Not just ground but whole pieces with skin & bones removed, chopped into cubes
This recipe lends itself to being split in half and that is what I did. It is very tasty. I may reduce the cinnamon next go as it was a little strong for our taste. The servings are generous. In fact, half the recipe will serve 6 with a side salad and vegetable.