1/1 Photo of Turkey Pastitsio-Low Fat!
Pastitsio is a traditional Greek dish,usually made with beef. This lighter version is ideal for those who are watching their weight/cholestrol level. I sometimes skip the cinnamon and add in a little chilli powder/chilli flakes for a spicier variation.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb lean turkey, ground
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup red wine or 1 cup stock
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 1/2 cups macaroni
- 1 1/4 cups skim milk
- 2 tablespoons sunflower margarine
- 3 tablespoons plain flour
- 1 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 2 tomatoes, sliced (optional)
- 4 tablespoons wholemeal breadcrumbs (optional)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1Preheat the oven to 220/425/Gas 7.Fry the turkey and onion in a large non-stick pan without fat,stirring until lightly browned.
- 2Stir in the tomato paste,red wine/stock and cinnamon.Season,then cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- 3Cook the macaroni in boiling salted water until just tender,then drain.Layer with the meat mixture in a wide oven proof dish.
- 4Place the milk,margarine and flour into a saucepan and whisk over a moderate heat until thickened and smooth.Add nutmeg and season to taste.
- 5Pour the sauce evenly over the pasta and meat.Arrange the tomato slices on top and sprinkle lines of breadcrumbs over the surface.
- 6Bake for 30-35 mins,or until golden and bubbling.
Browse Our Top Poultry Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Poultry Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Turkey Pastitsio-Low Fat!
Serving Size: 1 (450 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 559.9
- Calories from Fat 96
- Total Fat 10.6 g
- Saturated Fat 3.0 g
- Cholesterol 78.7 mg
- Sodium 254.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 66.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 5.8 g
- Protein 36.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: