I make moussaka with eggplant, but my husband tells me this is his favorite. I cut the recipe out of a magazine about 15 years ago.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb red potatoes
- 1 lb yams or 1 lb sweet potato
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can Italian-style stewed tomatoes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- salt and pepper
- 1 egg yolk
- 3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
- 2Cook red skinned potatoes in microwave for 5-7 minutes.
- 3Cook yams in microwave for 7-9 minutes.
- 4In medium skillet, brown beef for 5 minutes.
- 5Add tomatoes, cinnamon, and cumin; Simmer 3 minutes.
- 6Combine milk, flour, butter, and nutmeg in small saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly.
- 7Bring to boil and simmer for 1 minute.
- 8Season with salt and pepper.
- 9Remove from heat and whisk in egg yolk.
- 10Thinly slice potatoes.
- 11Place half of potatoes and yams on bottom of 2 quart casserole.
- 12Layer meat mixture, then remaining potatoes and yams.
- 13Pour sauce on top.
- 14Sprinkle with parmesan.
- 15Bake for 30 minutes.
Browse Our Top Greek Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Two Potato Moussaka
Serving Size: 1 (301 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 338.3
- Calories from Fat 135
- Total Fat 15.0 g
- Saturated Fat 7.1 g
- Cholesterol 77.1 mg
- Sodium 265.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.1 g
- Sugars 3.1 g
- Protein 16.5 g