An excellent accompaniment to souvlaki or gyros. Tastes best if allowed to sit refrigerated for several hours. You can find Greek style yogurt for this recipe in Greek or Middle Eastern delicatessins, or just feel free to use plain yogurt.
- Grate cucumbers and allow to drain in a sieve, weighted by a heavy plate, for 15 minutes.
- Wrap grated cucumbers in cheesecloth to squeeze all remaining liquid out.
- Set grated cucumbers in a mixing bowl.
- Place garlic cloves in a mortar and sprinkle with a little salt.
- Grind into a paste and add mixture to cucumbers.
- Whisk together yogurt, vinegar, pepper, mint, and oil.
- Add yogurt mixture to cucumbers and garlic and mix all together thoroughly.
- Refrigerate until needed.