Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
The Mediterranean countries are all olive-oil producers, and each country, even each region within a country, has its own style of oil. Oils from Greece tend to be rich yet mellow. Tuscan oils are distinctly peppery, while Sicilian oils are "big" and earthy. Olive oils from the south coast of France are buttery. Whenever possible, choose oils that match the style of a dish, with lighter, milder oils for delicate salads, vegetables or fish. More robust olive oils pair well with sturdier vegetables, anchovies, garlic, dark greens and red meats. COOKS NOTES: For a more formal presentation, arrange the bell peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, feta cheese, olives and anchovies on a platter. Sprinkle the capers over all the ingredients and pour the dressing over the top. Or, try sliced large tomatoes instead of cherry tomatoes. Line the platter with lettuce leaves or young spinach leaves to make a bed for the other ingredients. Please note: this is an adopted recipe and now that I've made it myself I can say that there were no leftovers here! I omitted the red onions and anchovies, knowing that our house guests didn't like them and served the capers separately to be added as preferred. A simple, elegant recipe well received. Thanks ! ZWT REGION: Greece.
- 2 red bell peppers
- 1 green bell pepper
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes
- 2 cucumbers
- 2 red onions
- 1⁄2 lb feta cheese
- 1 garlic clove
- 3⁄4 cup kalamata olive
- 6 anchovy fillets (optional)
- 2 tablespoons capers, rinsed
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh dill
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄3 cup fruity extra virgin olive oil
- Seed the bell peppers and cut them into 1-inch chunks. Stem the cherry tomatoes and halve one-half of them, leaving the others whole.
- Peel and thickly slice the cucumbers, and thinly slice the red onions. Cut the feta cheese into 1-inch cubes. Crush and mince the garlic clove.
- In a large bowl, combine the bell peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, feta cheese, olives, anchovies and capers and toss together.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, garlic, dill, oregano, salt and pepper. While whisking, slowly drizzle in the olive oil to make a thick dressing.
- Pour the dressing over the salad, toss and serve immediately.
We really enjoyed this! I made a couple of substitutions; orange peppers instead of green, and anchovy paste in the dressing rather than fillets in the salad. I'm not a cucumber fan, but in this dish, I was happy to eat them. I served this as a side with lamb burgers, and it was a perfect match. Thanks for posting!
This made a delicious lunch today! I am on a strict diet, so had to leave out the feta cheese and the olives(pout), but it was still great! Oh and I left out the anchovies too. Thank you! I made this for your cookathon and am glad you are doing better! Take care!
Delicious! What a wonderful blend of flavors. This will definitely make a repeat appearance at our table. We had to keep going back for more. Thanks kiwidutch...:)!