1/1 Photo of Vasilopita (New Year Bread)
Greek New Year Bread is traditionally cut at midnight on New Year's Eve. After baking, a coin is inserted through a slit in the base. The person who finds the coin will have luck in the New Year. Long ago the coin used to be a gold one, then later a silver coin was used. These could be incorporated into the dough before baking. Nowadays because of the nickel content of coins it is undesirable to bake a coin in the cake. From: "The Complete Middle East Cookbook" by Tess Mallos ISBN: 1 86302 069 1
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Dissolve yeast in 1/4 cup of the milk.
- 2Add remainder of milk, eggs, orange rind and sugar.
- 3Sift 3 cups flour, salt and spices into a warm bowl and make a wellin the centre.
- 4Pour in yeast mixture and stir to blend in flour, gradually adding warm melted butter.
- 5Mix dough with hands until it comes away from sides.
- 6Turn on to a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, adding remaining flour as required.
- 7Knead for 10 minutes.
- 8Place ball of dough in a clean bowl brushed with melted butter.
- 9Turn dough over to coat top with butter and cover bowl with a cloth or plastic wrap.
- 10Leave to prove (rise) in a warm place until doubled in bulk.
- 11Punch down and turn on to lightly floured surface.
- 12Knead lightly and shape into a round loaf.
- 13Place on a large greased baking sheet or in a greased 10 inch deep cake tin.
- 14Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled about 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- 15Glaze with well-beaten egg and arrange blanched almonds in numbers to denote the New Year, pressing in lightly.
- 16Bake in a moderately hot oven for 45 minutes until golden brown and cooked when tested.
- 17If bread browns too quickly place a piece of greased brown paper on top.
- 18Cool on a wire rack.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vasilopita (New Year Bread)
Serving Size: 1 (1250 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 3874.4
- Calories from Fat 1114
- Total Fat 123.8 g
- Saturated Fat 69.6 g
- Cholesterol 1013.6 mg
- Sodium 1782.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 594.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 18.1 g
- Sugars 152.0 g
- Protein 93.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: