Vegan baklava, for the more ambitious chef...
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2Finely chop half of the chopped walnuts, and all of the chopped almonds.
- 3Mix nuts with spices, stir well, and set aside for now --
- 4Cut the sheets of phyllo dough in half lengthwise, then stack the cut sheets on top of each other.
- 5Remove 6 phyllo dough sheets, and cover the rest with a moist, clean towel.
- 6Place one sheet of phyllo dough in the bottom of a greased 9 x 12 pan (or whatever works) and lightly spray it with oil. Cover with another sheet, oil, and repeat this step until all 6 sheets are stacked on top of each other. Sprinkle one third of the nut mixture evenly over the phyllo dough in the pan.
- 7Add 6 more phyllo dough layers using the process above, add more nuts, repeat etc.
- 8Using a sharp, oiled knife, cut the whole pan of phyllo dough vertically and horizontally, into as many pieces as appropriate.
- 9Bake at 350°F for about 20 minutes, lower the heat to 300°F and bake for about another 20 minutes, check to see if it's golden brown on the top, it might take an additional 10 minutes or so --
- 10While that's baking, mix the sugar, lemon juice, and maple syrup over low heat until it thickens. Once thickened, remove from heat, stir in the vanilla and almond extracts.
- 11Pour the mixture over the baklava as soon as it is done and out of the oven.
- 12Let the baklava cool in the fridge before serving.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegan Baklava
Serving Size: 1 (94 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 473.9
- Calories from Fat 318
- Total Fat 35.3 g
- Saturated Fat 3.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 132.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.8 g
- Sugars 20.2 g
- Protein 8.3 g