1 hr 10 mins
When my family found this recipe in Pillsbury's "Best Desserts", we couldn't resist giving it a try - and of course, being a health nut, I couldn't resist the challenge of tweaking it into a lighter dish without compromising its flavor. As long as you like chocolate, there's no going wrong with this one!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (8 ounce) package phyllo pastry sheets, thawed
- 3/4 cup earth balance butter substitute, melted
- 2 cups walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup miniature semisweet vegan chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon maple extract
- 1Unroll pastry sheets and cover with damp towels and plastic wrap. Heat oven to 350. Place one sheet of dough in a 9x13" pan and brush with butter substitute. Place another sheet on top, brushing with butter substitute, and repeat until half the sheets have been used.
- 2Sprinkle on walnuts, chocolate chips, and the 2 tablespoons brown sugar.
- 3Place the rest of the dough sheets on top, brushing each with butter substitute. Press down around edges and, with a knife, make five evenly-spaced length-wise incisions so that you wind up with six long strips. Make diagonal cuts every 1.5", so that your six long strips become diamond-shaped pastries. (Feel free to cut squares, instead.).
- 4Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes or until puffy and golden.
- 5Combine the rest of the ingredients except the maple flavor in a small saucepan and cook over medium heat until boiling and boil for five minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in maple flavor; refrigerate until baklava is ready.
- 6Pour syrup over baklava as soon as it comes out of the oven and let cool.
Browse Our Top Crusts/Pastry Dough Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegan Chocolate and Maple Baklava
Serving Size: 1 (935 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 121.4
- Calories from Fat 53
- Total Fat 5.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 44.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 8.3 g
- Protein 1.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
semisweet vegan chocolate chips