Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Scrumptious cookies that marry traditional chocolate chip, Greek Fenekias and middle eastern Mammouls. The whole wheat flour is a nice alternative to all-purpose and the farina adds lots of iron! *This recipe was adapted from Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Nut Cookies by email@example.com at www.vegweb.com.
- 1⁄3 cup peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup soymilk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup farina
- 1⁄4 cup chocolate chips
- 1⁄4 cup carob chips
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts (also try macadamia and hazelnuts) or 1⁄2 cup other nuts (also try macadamia and hazelnuts)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Oil a large baking sheet; set aside.
- Mix first five ingredients until very smooth. Add remaining ingredients, and stir to combine (be sure to mix in thoroughly the baking soda and salt--you may want to stir these into the flour first).
- Roll a teaspoonful of batter, flatten into disk, and place onto prepared baking sheet. Bake for about 5 minutes, or until sides just began to turn golden brown.
- Remove sheet from oven, and cool for 10 minutes before transferring cookies to a plate or wire rack.
These cookies are amazing, I did change the recipe somewhat as I am not Vegan and have no idea what carob chips are. The first time I made these I simply doubled the chocolate chips and used regular milk, they were really good but they were too hard for my liking. The next time I made them I used brown sugar and they came out a little softer, next I'm going to try precooking the farina before adding it to the mixture, this should make them nice and soft.
I'm usually very unsuccessful with Vegan cookies, but these came out great. Crunchy and a really fun texture with the farina. Great recipe!
These were really good. I used quick oats instead of farina and left out the vanilla since I used vanilla soy milk. I think these would be amazing if almond butter was used in place of peanut butter. I got about a dozen cookies out of this recipe.