Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Who needs feta?
Make and share this Vegan Spanakopita recipe from Food.com.
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed (drained and squeezed dry)
- 1 (14 ounce) package soft tofu, drained (or silken)
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill (OR 1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt and pepper, each
- 1 (16 ounce) package phyllo dough, frozen (thawed)
- 1⁄2 cup margarine, melted (e.g. Earth Balance)
- Saute the onions in the olive oil over medium heat until tender and golden. Remove skillet from heat.
- Place tofu in a mixing bowl and crumble with a fork.
- Add dill, lemon juice, salt and pepper, onions, and spinach.
- Stir thoroughly to combine.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Remove half of the phyllo dough from the package and cover the rest with plastic wrap and/or a damp towel to prevent it from drying out.
- Brush the bottom and sides of a 13" X 9" glass baking dish with the melted margarine. Place 2 phyllo sheets in the dish and press in lightly.
- Lightly brush with margarine (make sure to get the edges) and top with 2 more sheets and continue repeating until you have used half of the package of phyllo dough.
- Spread the spinach mixture in dish on top of the phyllo dough.
- Top with remaining phyllo dough in the same way as before, tucking or rolling in the excess edges when finished.
- Bake 45 minutes until golden and filling is hot.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
This is fantastic!!!!!! I cook vegan for a living and I made this today and it was delicious. Even carnivores loved it, didn't know what was in it. I added a tablespoon of nutritional yeast (nooch) and a tablespoon of corn starch so it wouldn't run. Baked it until golden brown and it was a hit. I also made Greek potatoes with it and a Greek salad with my own homemade vegan feta "cheeze." Great recipe. Thanks for sharing.