An easy, comforting vegetarian dish.
Make and share this Vegetable Orzo with Lemon & Herb Seasoning recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup orzo pasta (uncooked)
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 large carrot, sliced thinly
- 1 cup mushroom, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1 grated lemon, rind of
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh herb, chopped (sage, thyme, oregano)
- salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Start by heating the oil in a large saucepan/wok on medium heat.
- Add the onion and garlic and saute for a minute or two.
- Add the carrot and celery and saute for another 2 minutes.
- Then add the chopped bell pepper and continue sauteeing for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add in the mushrooms and the orzo, stirring them into the vegetable mixture.
- Pour in enough broth to cover, about 1 cup.
- Let the orzo absorb the broth, adding more as necessary.
- Add in the grated lemon rind and herbs (and chili pepper flakes, if desired).
- When the orzo has absorbed all the broth and is plump looking, the meal is ready to serve.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve with a nice crusty bread.