1/2 Photos of Vegetarian Pastitsio
1 hr 30 mins
From: "The Vegetarian Epicure" by Anna Thomas, first edition 1972. This book was a real find! Greek-Style casserole.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups cooked lentils (I'd use brown)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 1 large eggplant, chopped into small pieces (unpeeled)
- 1 -2 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2-1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2-1 teaspoon oregano
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 8 medium tomatoes, peeled and chopped or 1 (32 ounce) can chopped tomatoes, drained
- 8 ounces tomato paste
- 1/2-1 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 16 ounces cooked macaroni
- 1Preheat oven to 400°F.
- 2Heat olive oil and butter over medium heat in a large skillet.
- 3Add onions, eggplant, garlic and seasonings. Cover and let saute, stirring occasionally for about 10 minutes.
- 4Add tomatoes and lentils with a little liquid. Cook until very thick.
- 5Stir in tomato paste and heat through. Adjust seasonings to taste.
- 6Butter a large casserole of oblong baking dish and layer half of the noodles across the bottom. Sprinkle one third of the parmesan over the noodles. Layer half of the sauce over noodles and parmesan.
- 7Layer the remaining half of the noodles over the sauce, sprinkle with one third of the parmesan and cover with the remaining sauce. *You could refrigerate it at this point if you want to make it ahead of time.
- 8Custard Sauce:.
- 9Heat butter in a saucepan over low heat, stir in flour, and let roux cook a few minutes.
- 10Pour in heated milk, stirring with a whisk.
- 11Slowly whisk sauce into beaten eggs.
- 12Pour sauce over entire casserole. It should drain through to the bottom and bind the whole thing together. If it sits on top, slide a butter knife in and out of the layers in a few places.
- 13Sprinkle with remaining parmesan and cover.
- 14Bake for 1 hour.
- 15Serve very hot.
Browse Our Top Lentil Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lentil Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegetarian Pastitsio
Serving Size: 1 (477 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 451.4
- Calories from Fat 196
- Total Fat 21.8 g
- Saturated Fat 10.1 g
- Cholesterol 110.9 mg
- Sodium 478.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 48.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.5 g
- Sugars 10.6 g
- Protein 18.1 g