From the September 4, 2009 edition of Athens Plus Magazine. I'm not entirely sure what "BBQ Spice" is.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 50 g butter
- 50 ml olive oil
- 2 kg venison, with bones
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, roughly chopped
- 2 carrots, roughly chopped
- 100 ml flour, seasoned with salt, pepper, BBQ spice
- 4 cloves
- 3 twigs rosemary
- 125 ml dry white wine
- 50 ml sweet sherry
- 30 ml Worcestershire sauce
- 30 ml tomato paste
- 500 ml boiling water
- 2 onions, cut in wedges
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 250 g black mushrooms, peeled, cut thick
- 50 ml apricot jam
- 1Crust: Put flour and butter in the food processor and pulse until well mixed.
- 2Add sour cream and rosemary and keep pulsing until it becomes a rough mix.
- 3Press together and place in a plastic bag in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- 4Roll dough on a floured work surface, forming a rectangle.
- 5Fold short sides to the middle and fold in half again.
- 6Repeat and place in the fridge for 1 hour or until use.
- 7Filling: Heat butter and oil in a cast-iron pot and saute until brown. Put aside.
- 8Saute onion, celery and carrots in the same pot.
- 9Put the sealed meat and seasoned flour in a large plastic bag.
- 10Shake well to coat all the meat with flour.
- 11Shake off excess flour and return to pot.
- 12Add the cloves and rosemary.
- 13Mix the white wine, sherry, Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste and boiling water and pour over meat.
- 14Simmer for 2-3 hours or bake in oven for 2-3 hours.
- 15The meat should come off the bones.
- 16In the meantime, saute the onions, garlic, and mushrooms. Also saute the bacon and add to the onions.
- 17When the meat is ready, remove the bones and stir in the jam and onion mix. If required, thicken the sauce further.
- 18Transfer to an oven dish to cool.
- 19Roll out dough until 6-cm thick.
- 20Cut slightly bigger than the dish and cover meat with dough.
- 21Tidy edges and paint with egg wash (1 egg yolk mixed with 10 ml water).
- 22Bake pie for 40-45 minutes at 180°C.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Venison Pie With Sour Cream and Rosemary Crust
Serving Size: 1 (532 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1003.1
- Calories from Fat 446
- Total Fat 49.6 g
- Saturated Fat 26.5 g
- Cholesterol 371.6 mg
- Sodium 464.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 7.0 g
- Protein 81.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: