1 hr 20 mins
The most delicious version I have ever eaten - this even beat the version I ate while in Greece. I attended a Greek festival at St Barbara Greek Orthodox Church in Orange CT, and the lady who prepared this dish was kind enough to share the recipe on the spot. She has made it so many times, she knows it by memory. She said that salt is not needed as the feta is already salty enough. NOTE: It is very important to use the correct size pan as specified in the instructions. Using a 9x13 pan will not produce the correct result.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 300°F.
- 2Combine cheeses, eggs,and season to taste with about 1 tsp of pepper, mixing well to combine.
- 3Lightly butter a large jelly roll pan or rectangular pan with low sides (about 11" x 14") and place a sheet or two of phyllo pastry to cover the pan.
- 4Brush lightly again with butter, then repeat until you have 10 layers (go easy on the butter).
- 5Spread filling evenly in pan.
- 6Top with another 10 layers of phyllo, tucking in and folding the corners, buttering each layer as before.
- 7Using a clean spray bottle filled with some cold water, gently mist the entire surface (this will produce a crispy top layer).
- 8Cut into 24 squares, then pop into the preheated oven and bake about 1 hour.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Virginia's Greek Tyropita
Serving Size: 1 (170 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 406.4
- Calories from Fat 172
- Total Fat 19.1 g
- Saturated Fat 10.5 g
- Cholesterol 121.0 mg
- Sodium 1034.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 2.0 g
- Protein 19.2 g