katie in the UP's Note:
Serve with vanilla ice cream, whipped cream or crème fraîche, or with slices of aged kefalotyri cheese or white cheddar. Posted for the 2005 Zaar World Tour/Greece Bon Appetit/2002
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (6 ounce) package dried apricots
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1 1/2 cups orange blossom honey
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 orange, zest of, removed in strips using vegetable peeler
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 5 large eggs, separated
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup farina (10-minute Cream of Wheat, not instant)
- 1 cup walnuts, finely chopped
- 1Bring apricots and orange juice to simmer in small saucepan. Remove from heat, cover, and let soften 20 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer apricots to processor and chop coarsely. Reserve juice in saucepan.
- 2Combine honey, 1/2 cup water, and orange peel in heavy large saucepan. Bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer until syrup coats spoon, about 10 minutes. Cool slightly. Remove orange peel and reserve. Add lemon juice and reserved orange juice to syrup. Cool.
- 3Preheat oven to 350°F Brush 9-inch-diameter cake pan with 2-inch-high sides with 1 tablespoon butter. Using electric mixer, beat egg yolks, sugar, and salt in large bowl until pale and thick. Stir in farina, walnuts, 5 tablespoons melted butter, and apricots.
- 4Using clean dry beaters, beat egg whites in another large bowl until stiff but not dry. Fold whites into batter in 3 additions; transfer to prepared pan.
- 5Bake until cake is golden and tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 30 minutes. Immediately pour all of syrup over cake in pan. Cover pan loosely with foil; let cake stand until cool. Turn out cake and syrup onto platter. Garnish with reserved orange peel.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Walnut-Apricot Cake in Honey Syrup
Serving Size: 1 (159 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 460.9
- Calories from Fat 154
- Total Fat 17.2 g
- Saturated Fat 5.8 g
- Cholesterol 124.0 mg
- Sodium 157.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 74.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 57.6 g
- Protein 7.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
oranges, zest of