My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1THE SYRUP 4 cups sugar 3 cups water 1 1/2 cups honey 1 cinnamon stick 6 whole cloves Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
- 2Mix together the walnuts, sugar and cinnamon.
- 3Select a pan the size of the phyllo sheets and brush well with some melted butter.
- 4Place 4 sheets phyllo, brushing each with butter, in the bottom of the prepared pan.
- 5To p with a sheet of unbuttered phyllo then sprinkle with a handful of the walnut mixture. Cover with a buttered sheet then an unbuttered sheet and another sprinkling of walnuts.
- 6Repeat this layering until all ingredients are used up, reserving 5 sheets phyllo for the top.
- 7Place last 5 sheets of phyllo, brushing each with butter, on top of pastry and pour remaining butter over all.
- 8Cut the baklava into traditional diamond pattern , being careful not to cut through bottom layers.
- 9Bake for 1 hour.
- 10Remove from oven and let cool.
- 11SYRUP Combine sugar and water in a large saucepan and boil for 5 minutes.
- 12Add the honey, cinnamon stick and cloves and continue boiling 5 minutes longer.
- 13Pour hot syrup over completely cooled baklava.
- 14Cool completely, cut through bottom layers following previous cuts and serve. - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - NOTES : Be sure baklava is completely cooled before adding hot syrup or it will be soggy.
Browse Our Top Fruit Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Walnut Baklava
Serving Size: 1 (154 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 753.4
- Calories from Fat 518
- Total Fat 57.6 g
- Saturated Fat 18.4 g
- Cholesterol 61.0 mg
- Sodium 493.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 52.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.8 g
- Sugars 11.3 g
- Protein 12.2 g