- Mix together the walnuts, sugar and cinnamon.
- Select a pan the size of the phyllo sheets and brush well with melted butter.
- Use 4 sheets of phyllo for the bottom layer, brushing each one with butter before adding the next, and top with a sheet of unbuttered phyllo.
- Sprinkle with a handful of the walnut mixture.
- Cover with a buttered sheet, an unbuttered sheet, and another sprinkling of walnuts.
- Repeat until the ingredients are used up, reserving 5 sheets of phyllo for the top layer.
- Brush each of the top 5 sheets with ample butter, and pour the remaining butter over the top of the last sheet.
- Trim the edges if necessary, and cut the baklava into the traditional diamond pattern.
- Do not cut through the bottom layer.
- Sprinkle the top of the baklava lightly with water from your fingertips.
- Bake in a preheated 250°F (120°C) oven for about 1 hour.
- Remove from oven and cool.
- For the syrup, combine the sugar and water in a large pot and boil for 5 minutes.
- Add the honey, cinnamon stick and cloves, and boil for 5 minutes more.
- Pour the hot syrup over the cooled baklava.
- Do not pour over a hot baklava, it will turn soggy.
- Cool then cut through the bottom layer of phyllo following the previous cuts.