Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
- Mix together the walnuts, sugar and cinnamon.
- Select a pan the size of the phyllo sheets and brush well with melted butter.
- Use 4 sheets of phyllo for the bottom layer, brushing each one with butter before adding the next, and top with a sheet of unbuttered phyllo.
- Sprinkle with a handful of the walnut mixture.
- Cover with a buttered sheet, an unbuttered sheet, and another sprinkling of walnuts.
- Repeat until the ingredients are used up, reserving 5 sheets of phyllo for the top layer.
- Brush each of the top 5 sheets with ample butter, and pour the remaining butter over the top of the last sheet.
- Trim the edges if necessary, and cut the baklava into the traditional diamond pattern.
- Do not cut through the bottom layer.
- Sprinkle the top of the baklava lightly with water from your fingertips.
- Bake in a preheated 250°F (120°C) oven for about 1 hour.
- Remove from oven and cool.
- For the syrup, combine the sugar and water in a large pot and boil for 5 minutes.
- Add the honey, cinnamon stick and cloves, and boil for 5 minutes more.
- Pour the hot syrup over the cooled baklava.
- Do not pour over a hot baklava, it will turn soggy.
- Cool then cut through the bottom layer of phyllo following the previous cuts.
This is very good. Just loved it. My neighbour first tasted an authentic Baklava and said this recipe was the second best he has ever tasted. Thank-you for posting it.
This was great, but only used half of the sauce.