1/3 Photos of Walnut Baklava
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 cups chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/4 cups melted butter
- 1 1/2 lbs phyllo dough
- 1Mix together the walnuts, sugar and cinnamon.
- 2Select a pan the size of the phyllo sheets and brush well with melted butter.
- 3Use 4 sheets of phyllo for the bottom layer, brushing each one with butter before adding the next, and top with a sheet of unbuttered phyllo.
- 4Sprinkle with a handful of the walnut mixture.
- 5Cover with a buttered sheet, an unbuttered sheet, and another sprinkling of walnuts.
- 6Repeat until the ingredients are used up, reserving 5 sheets of phyllo for the top layer.
- 7Brush each of the top 5 sheets with ample butter, and pour the remaining butter over the top of the last sheet.
- 8Trim the edges if necessary, and cut the baklava into the traditional diamond pattern.
- 9Do not cut through the bottom layer.
- 10Sprinkle the top of the baklava lightly with water from your fingertips.
- 11Bake in a preheated 250°F (120°C) oven for about 1 hour.
- 12Remove from oven and cool.
- 13For the syrup, combine the sugar and water in a large pot and boil for 5 minutes.
- 14Add the honey, cinnamon stick and cloves, and boil for 5 minutes more.
- 15Pour the hot syrup over the cooled baklava.
- 16Do not pour over a hot baklava, it will turn soggy.
- 17Cool then cut through the bottom layer of phyllo following the previous cuts.
Browse Our Top Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Walnut Baklava
Serving Size: 1 (3572 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 12176.1
- Calories from Fat 5187
- Total Fat 576.3 g
- Saturated Fat 184.4 g
- Cholesterol 610.0 mg
- Sodium 4966.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 1746.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 48.9 g
- Sugars 1330.5 g
- Protein 123.7 g