1 hr 40 mins
From: New York’s 25: Taste Of Greece – Oct 16-Nov 18, 2006 "Greek flavors “just sing together”, says chef Jim Botsakos, “Although the cuisine is very simple, the Greeks like to celebrate the freshness of ingredients. The foods may be simple but some flavors can be quite complex.” - Jim Botsacos & John Piliouras of Molyvos. Prep time is a guess, Cook time is an approximation.
My Private Note
Small S ...
Units: US | Metric
- 3 loaves tsoureki bread
- butter, as needed
- 2 pints fresh figs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup mavrodaphne wine
- 1/2 piece vanilla bean, scraped
- 6 ounces manouri cheese
- 1 cup strained Greek yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1Prepare the Figs: Remove the stems from the figs and cut.
- 2into quarters.
- 3Toss the figs and sugar together in a bowl.
- 4Place the Mavrodafni wine and vanilla bean in a stainless steel.
- 5pot and heat over medium flame.
- 6Pour the figs and sugar into the pot and cook, stirring occasionally, until the figs become very soft and bubbly, about 20-25 minutes.
- 7Remove the vanilla bean, let the liquid cool slightly and puree with an immersion blender.
- 8Chill completely before using.
- 9Prepare the Cheese Filling: Fit a table-top mixer with the paddle attachment.
- 10Place the cheese and yogurt into the bowl and paddle at medium speed 1-2 minutes, until light and fully.
- 11Switch to the whip attachment and mix another 30 seconds or until completely smooth and free of lumps.
- 13For the Almond Milk: Take the lightly toasted almonds and place them in a bowl of a food processor along with the sugar and water.
- 14Pulse until you make a thick paste that is slightly chunky. (The paste will pull away from the side of the bowl and form a small ball.).
- 15Combine the almond paste with the milk and cream in a stainless steel saucepan.
- 16Place over medium heat, bring to a light simmer, lower to a bare simmer and cook 10-12 minutes stirring occasionally.
- 17Remove from heat, stir in the almond extract, and let milk cool to room temperature.
- 18Strain, discard the almonds and reserve the strained almond milk.
- 19When ready to use, reheat the milk and keep warm until ready to serve.
- 20To assemble the Warm Tsoureki Sandwich: Cut the Tsoureki.
- 21into 36 1/4-inch oval slices, lightly coat each half of the slices with.
- 221 1/2 teaspoons of the whipped cheese and yogurt.
- 23Coat the other half of the remaining slices with 1/2 a teaspoon of the fig spoon sweet.
- 24Place the bread slices with the cheese spread and fig spoon sweets together to make 18 sandwiches.
- 25Take 3 tablespoons of butter, at room temperature, and lightly coat each sandwich on both exterior sides of the bread.
- 26Place a 10” non-stick pan over medium-high heat.
- 27Place 4-5 sandwiches in the pan buttered side down and cook until golden, 2-4 minutes (as you would French toast).
- 28Turn and continue to cook until golden on both sides.
- 29Remove the sandwiches from the pan, set aside and keep warm.
- 30Repeat this process with the remaining sandwiches.
- 31On a long plate, place 3 warm sandwiches slightly overlapping like shingles and place a small shot glass or other small cup filled with the Almond Milk. Top the Almond Milk with foam to resemble a cappuccino and serve.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Warm Tsoureki Sandwich With Whipped Manouri and Figs With Almond
Serving Size: 1 (612 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1469.3
- Calories from Fat 398
- Total Fat 44.3 g
- Saturated Fat 11.1 g
- Cholesterol 43.8 mg
- Sodium 2277.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 231.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.2 g
- Sugars 77.6 g
- Protein 38.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: