A refreshing and unusual salad, ideal as part of a Mediterranean meal on a hot summer's day. I have posted this along with three other recipes using ouzo, from an article featuring ouzo, in the October 2005 issue of 'Australian Good Taste'. The other three recipes are Chocolate Bullets, Ouzo-Poached Cherries With Waffles & Cinnamon & Ouzo Iced Tea.
- 1 1⁄3 kg seedless watermelon, rind removed, cut into thin wedges
- 1 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1⁄2 red onion, cut into thin wedges
- 50 g reduced-fat feta cheese, thinly sliced (for Australians, Clover Creek brand recommended)
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon ouzo
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- Ouzo Dressing: Whisk together the vinegar, oil and ouzo in a medium-sized jug and season to taste.
- Arrange the watermelon, mint, onion and feta on serving plates, drizzle with the ouzo dressing and serve immediately.