1/1 Photo of William Sonoma's Greek Yogurt With Pears and Honey
24 hrs 15 mins
Greek yogurt (yiaourti) is thicker and creamier than the variety commonly found in U.S. markets. In Greece, yogurt is a much-used ingredient in many recipes and a favorite treat spooned from the bowl with honey or nuts. Traditionally made with sheeps milk, Greek yogurt is easy to prepare at home using cow's milk. The yogurt is always strained to remove excess moisture, producing a luscious, creamy texture.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a large saucepan over medium heat, warm the milk, stirring occasionally, until it registers 160°F on an instant-read thermometer.
- 2Transfer the milk to a large bowl with a pouring spout and let cool to lukewarm.
- 3Pour 1/4 cup of the milk into a small bowl and whisk in the yogurt starter. Whisk the starter mixture into the large bowl of milk, making sure to incorporate all of the starter.
- 4Pour the milk into yogurt jars, dividing evenly, and place in a yogurt maker.
- 5Process for 13 hours according to the manufacturers instructions.
- 6Line a fine-mesh sieve with coffee filters or 4 layers of cheesecloth and place over a bowl.
- 7Pour the yogurt into the sieve and cover with plastic wrap.
- 8Refrigerate until the yogurt is thick, at least 8 hours.
- 9Transfer the drained yogurt to a clean bowl and stir until smooth.
- 10If the yogurt is too thick, like cream cheese, whisk a little of the strained liquid (the whey) back into the yogurt.
- 11To serve, divide the yogurt among 4 shallow bowls. Top with the pears and nuts and drizzle with the honey.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for William Sonoma's Greek Yogurt With Pears and Honey
Serving Size: 1 (464 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 386.3
- Calories from Fat 146
- Total Fat 16.2 g
- Saturated Fat 7.8 g
- Cholesterol 44.8 mg
- Sodium 216.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 52.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.3 g
- Sugars 28.9 g
- Protein 12.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: