1/2 Photos of Yalantzi Dolmathes
1 hr 30 mins
Dreamer in Ontario's Note:
Yalantzi is driven from Turkish "yalanci" which means fake. Yalantzi dolma(de)s are meant to be made without meat and served at room temp. This is popular in the coastal regions of pan Ottoman cultures where cold olive oil dishes are consumed daily. This version was found in recipesfromscratch.com
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a heavy 10" to 12" skillet, heat 3 tablespoons of the olive oil over a moderate heat until a light haze forms above it.
- 2Add the onions & cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until they are soft & transparent but not brown.
- 3Add the rice & stir constantly for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the grains are coated with oil (Do not let them brown).
- 4Pour in the water, add the salt & a few grindings of pepper & bring to a boil over high heat.
- 5Reduce the heat to low, cover tightly, & simmer for about 15 minutes, or until the rice is tender & has absorbed all the liquid.
- 6In a small skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the remaining olive oil & in it cook the pine nuts until they are a delicate brown.
- 7Add them to the rice, then stir in the currants. In a large pot, bring 2 quarts of water to a boil over high heat.
- 8Drop in the grape leaves and immediately turn off the heat.
- 9Let the leaves soak for 1 minute, then drain them in a sieve and plunge them into a bowl or pan of cold water to cool them quickly.
- 10Gently separate the leaves and spread them, dull sides up, on paper towels to drain.
- 11Layer the bottom of a heavy 2 to 3 quart casserole with 10 of the leaves. Stuff each of the remaining 30 leaves with about 1 tablespoon of the rice mixture.
- 12Stack the stuffed leaves, side by side and seam sides down, in layers in the casserole and sprinkle them with the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil and the cold water.
- 13Place the casserole over high heat for 3 minutes, reduce the heat to low and simmer, tightly covered, for 50 minutes.
- 14Uncover and cool to room temperature.
- 15To serve, arrange the stuffed grape leaves attractively on a platter or individual plates and garnish with lemon wedges.
Nutritional Facts for Yalantzi Dolmathes
Serving Size: 1 (712 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 42.6
- Calories from Fat 28
- Total Fat 3.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 191.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 3.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 0.6 g
- Protein 0.5 g