Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr
Greek stuffed vegetables with Rice.
Make and share this Yemista Me Ryzi recipe from Food.com.
- 1 spring onion, finely chopped
- 1 bunch fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 lb zucchini, grated
- 2 medium carrots, grated
- 1⁄2 eggplant, peeled and grated
- 1 cup olive oil, divided
- 4 firm tomatoes
- 4 medium zucchini
- 4 small eggplants
- 4 bell peppers (green bell, or banana)
- 1 1⁄2 cups long grain rice, cooked
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- toasted breadcrumb
- Wash the vegetables carefully and dry. With a paring knife, cut the caps off the tomatoes, peppers, and eggplant, and both ends off the zucchini and set aside. With a spoon, scoop out the pulp and seeds from the eggplant, zucchini, and peppers, and discard.
- Scoop out the tomato pulp, chop well, and set aside. Lightly salt the interior of all vegetables.
- Tip: Scoop out vegetables leaving a thin shell, about 1/8 inch.
- In a pot, heat 1/2 cup of olive oil and sauté the onion for about 2-3 minutes. Add grated zucchini, eggplant, and carrots, and cook over low heat for 10 minutes. Add the tomato pulp and continue to cook for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool for 15 minutes, and put in a bowl. Add the rice, parsley, salt, and pepper, and mix well with a spoon until blended.
- With a spoon, fill vegetables loosely with the rice mixture, place in a roasting pan packed closely but not squashed, with caps covering the tops and ends. Place tomatoes (and small bell peppers if used) upright, lie the others on their sides. Pour 1/2 cup olive oil and 1/2 cup water over the top, sprinkle the tops of the upright vegetables with toasted breadcrumbs, and bake at 450F (230C) for 1 hour. Halfway through, turn the vegetables that are placed on their sides.
How gorgeous is this? It could serve 8-10 people as a side dish and each person could choose the vegetable they want! Meat could also be added and this served as an entree. Regardless...the colors and flavors are beautiful and fresh. Made for the Greek stop on the 2008 Zaar World Tour.