1/1 Photo of Yigandes Plaki - Greek Baked Beans & Tomato Casserole
3 hrs 20 mins
3 hrs 15 mins
Um Safia's Note:
This is a traditional vegetarian Greek dish. The main ingedients are of course, the huge beans & tomato.....try to find original yigandes (gigantes, gigandes) beans at a Greek or ethnic market for this dish, otherwise use the biggest lima beans you can find. Recipe by: Nancy Gaifyllia.She says "Restaurants serve this as a meze (in small portions), but because of the quantity in which it's fixed, unless you're planning a selection of mezether for a large gathering, it works better as a main dish" Time to make doesn't include soaking time. Posted for ZWT 4
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb yigandes beans, soaked for 12 hours, drained (or big lima beans)
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 lb of ripe tomato, peeled, finely chopped (or 16oz. of canned chopped plum tomatoes)
- 2 small vegetable bouillon cubes
- sea salt (optional)
- fresh ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 cups water (1 1/2 cups if using canned tomatoes)
- 1Add the beans to a pot with enough cold water to cover well. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cook at a slow boil for 1 hour. Drain and set aside.
- 2Preheat the oven to 325F (160C).
- 3Using a wooden spoon, sauté the onion and garlic in the olive oil until soft.
- 4Add tomatoes (if using canned, add all liquid as well), bouillon cubes, salt, pepper, parsley, and water, and allow to boil gently for 10-30 minutes, until it begins to thicken.
- 5Place the beans in an oven-proof pan, add tomato mixture, stir and spread mixture out evenly.
- 6Bake 1 1/2 to 2 hours, or until beans are soft. (Check the dish during cooking and if needed, add a small amount of boiling water.) The dish will look crispy on top.
- 7Remove from the oven, cover, and allow to cool. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- 8When using after refrigerating, allow it to come to room temperature, or heat briefly in the microwave. This dish is not served hot.
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Yigandes Plaki - Greek Baked Beans & Tomato Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (317 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 284.0
- Calories from Fat 245
- Total Fat 27.3 g
- Saturated Fat 3.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 13.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 5.3 g
- Protein 1.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
vegetable bouillon cubes