A savory Middle Eastern spice mix, zaatar typically includes sesame seeds, thyme, marjoram, and sumac, that was sent to me by my sister from Zamouri Spice. The spice can be found at Middle Eastern markets or gourmet shops. It is usually sprinkled on pita bread and coupled with strained labneh (yogurt). We served these to some visiting DR's and was enjoyed by all! Sunset Magazine was where I found these great recipes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup flour, for rolling pastry dough
- 1/2 lb chilled puff pastry
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 -4 tablespoons za'atar spice mix
GARLICKY YOGURT DIP
- 1MAKE GARLICKY YOGURT DIP:.
- 2Take garlic and salt, and mash to a paste against cutting board with the flat side of a large knife.
- 3Ina a serving bowl mix garlic mash with thick yogurt or labneh and stir in parsley.
- 4MAKE STRAWS:.
- 5Preheat oven to 375°F
- 6Flour a work surface and a rolling pin.
- 7Set puff pastry on surface, sprinkle lightly with flour, and roll out into a rectangle about 8x12"x1/8"thick.
- 8Arrange pastry so that it's horizontal and trim edges even.
- 9Brush pastry all over with olive oil.
- 10Sprinkle left half of pastry liberally with half of the zaatar and fold right (unsprinkled) pastry half over zaatar, like closing a book.
- 11Lightly sprinkle top of pastry with flour and roll back out into a rectangle almost as large as the one you began with.
- 12As before, brush pastry with olive oil, sprinkle half with remaining zaatar, and fold unsprinkled half over zaatar.
- 13Roll with the pin a few times to seal.
- 14With a sharp knife, cut pastry lengthwise into 1/3" strips.
- 15Twist each strip loosely a couple of times and put on an ungreased baking sheet (push ends onto sheet to keep straw from untwisting; you may need 2 sheets).
- 16Dab tops of strips lightly with egg wash.
- 17Bake straws until medium golden brown, 12 to 15 minutes.
- 18Let cool 1 minute, then loosen gently from sheet with spatula.
- 19Serve warm or cool, with Garlicky Yogurt Dip.
Browse Our Top Greek Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Za'atar Straws & Garlicky Yogurt Dip
Serving Size: 1 (414 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 90.4
- Calories from Fat 53
- Total Fat 5.9 g
- Saturated Fat 1.3 g
- Cholesterol 10.5 mg
- Sodium 75.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 0.1 g
- Protein 1.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
za'atar spice mix