1/1 Photo of Zucchini Pie of Chania – Kolokithoboureko Chaniotico
1 hr 30 mins
This is a traditional recipe from Crete (Greece) that needs some time to cook, but it’s really easy and can be prepared in advance. As side dish or as full meal this pie is always welcome! My children loved to order this in the restaurant, now we can prepare this at home.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 250 g phyllo pastry (or 1 big and 1 smaller not sweet pie crust, size depend on your mold)
- 250 g potatoes, peeled sliced (or coarsley grated)
- 500 g zucchini, small sliced (or coarsley grated)
- 400 g fresh white cheese (best Greek antothiro or myzithra) or 400 g ricotta cheese, sliced
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 15 leaves mint, chopped (to taste)
- olive oil
- 1 -2 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1Prepare all your ingredients.
- 2Preheat the oven at 320 °F (150°C).
- 3Grease your mold (I used my round 10 inches cake mold).
- 4Cover your mold with overlapping borders with 2 third of fillo .
- 5Fill with potatoes.
- 6Add half of zucchini.
- 7Add salt and pepper to taste.
- 8Add half of the cheese and half of mint leaves.
- 9Add remaining zucchini.
- 10Add salt and pepper to taste.
- 11Add remaining cheese and mint leaves.
- 12Add some olive oil to taste (I add about 2 tablespoons).
- 13Add the egg but leave one tablespoon for the topping.
- 14Fold the fillo on the borders over filling.
- 15Brush little egg.
- 16Cover with 2 sheets of fillo.
- 17Brush with remaining egg and make incisions (in squares) over the surface.
- 18Spread sesame seeds and some oil (about 1 tablespoon).
- 19Bake at 320°F for 1 1/2 hours (150°C).
- 20Increase the heat in the last 10 minutes if necessary until golden brown.
- 21Serve warm of lukewarm.
- 22Note: you can change the proportion of the ingredient on your taste or on what available.
- 23Note: if you have bigger zucchini they will contain to much water. Put your sliced or grated zucchini in a bowl; add 1-2 teaspoons of salt. Stir. After 30 minutes rinse and drain prior use. Or perhaps another solution is to spread some breadcrumbs on fillo prior filling it with potatoes and zucchini. If you try this please let me know!
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Zucchini Pie of Chania – Kolokithoboureko Chaniotico
Serving Size: 1 (176 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 287.0
- Calories from Fat 58
- Total Fat 6.5 g
- Saturated Fat 1.5 g
- Cholesterol 46.5 mg
- Sodium 333.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 48.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 3.7 g
- Protein 9.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: